In the fourth millennium BC, a fascinating civilisation flourished on the bank of the Euphrates… SUMER
Sumer is in the National Curriculum
(History – Key Stage 2)
Tick it off your list in one day!
Get your pupils to discover the great achievements of the Sumerian civilisation!
Individual sessions on demand in-class or online
Or: A day in Sumer, four sessions to cover the main characteristic features of the Sumerian civilisation:
Project supported by the University of Cambridge
Our activities are:
✓ Original and accurate
A great range of primary sources made accessible to children: a series of questions will guide them through texts, archaeological plans, maps, reliefs and statues in a way that enables children to come up with their own interpretations.
✓ Imaginative and fun
Hands-on activities specially designed to be attractive to children, capturing their attention and interest.
Different formats from one lesson to another to keep children engaged for the whole day.
Activities suitable for all ages of KS2, years 3 to 6
All four sessions can be adapted to your school's specific needs and interests.
All activities are successful with children aged 8 to 11
"Sumer is super!"
"My daughter talked about Sumer the whole week"
"My son explained all about Sumerian agriculture to my husband!"
"It's much fun"
Sessions are designed to match the aims of the National Curriculum:
✓ give children historical perspective
✓ make children understand historical concepts such as continuity and change, cause and consequence
✓ get children to use real historical sources
✓ lead children through methods of historical enquiry
✓ get children to put into practice multiple subject skills (notions of geography, principles of architecture and geometry, use of a great range of new words)
Lessons are taught by Marie,
Dr in Mesopotamian Studies
- Teaching Associate in Assyriology University of Cambridge (Department of archaeology)
- Creator of a teaching board game about Babylon (funded by the University of Cambridge)
- Experienced with children: teacher at "Les Petits Caméléons"
- Active participant in outreach events with children and families (Cambridge Festival of Ideas and Science Festival)
- Within your classroom or distance learning
- Step-by-step guidance with beautifully illustrated PowerPoints
- Hands-on and interactive activities
All Sumer in ready-made sessions
- Marie is available to answer all your questions about Sumer before or after the session;
- Topic book for every pupil ("My day in Sumer")
- Extra documents to address frequently asked questions
- Texts related to one or all topics to read with your class before or after the day can be provided on demand.
Give your school a unique and original asset
- a day in Sumer!
Get in touch with Marie
(offer available for UK only)